tr?id=&ev=PageView&noscript=

Nevada treasurer bills US for $2.1B after Trump tariffs struck down

Nevada treasurer bills US for $2.1B after Trump tariffs struck down

Democratic treasurer Zach Conine addresses reporters at a press conference to outline the priorities of Democrats who control Nevada's state Legislature on Wednesday, May 3, 2023, in Carson City, Nev. (AP Photo/Gabe Stern)

By USA Today Network via Reuters Connect

February 20, 2026

By Mark Robison, Reno Gazette Journal 

Nevada State Treasurer Zach Conine sent a bill Friday to the federal government for $2.1 billion for a refund on President Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The tariffs — a key part of Trump’s economic and international policies — were struck down Feb. 20 by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Chief Justice John Roberts said Trump “must identify clear congressional authorization to exercise” the power to impose tariffs.

Trump did not get Congress’ approval, although his Republican Party controls both the U.S. House and Senate.

Conine, who is running as a Democrat for attorney general this year, said in a statement, “Over the last year, President Donald Trump and his administration have overcharged Nevadans $2.1 billion through unconstitutional tariffs on everyday essentials.”

He cites data from Democrats on the U.S. Joint Economic Committee showing that since February 2025, the Trump administration’s tariff actions have cost American consumers $231.35 billion, or $1,744.75 per household.

“The state of Nevada is currently home to 1,234,742 households, meaning the Trump administration’s direct damages to Nevadans totals $2,154,316,104.50,” Conine’s news release says.

He thanked Attorney General Aaron Ford, a Democrat running for governor, for joining a coalition of 11 states filing suit over tariffs, saying this will allow the Trump administration to be held accountable.

“As Nevada’s chief investment officer,” Conine said, “I have a responsibility to try to recoup every single dollar that the Trump Administration takes from Nevada families.”

Conine’s bill is one of a number of such efforts. Illinois’ Democratic governor, JB Pritzker, also sent Trump an invoice, his for $8.6 billion.

A coalition of 800 small businesses called We Pay the Tariffs submitted a letter calling for “full, fast and automatic” refunds to businesses that incurred tariff charges.

The nonpartisan, nonprofit Tax Foundation — a national think tank that advocates for lower taxes and limited government — said Friday it estimates $160 billion in tariffs were “illegally” collected and that the U.S. Court of International Trade is now tasked with the issue of addressing refunds.

The Tax Foundation said that while the ruling shields taxpayers from some higher costs, others remain, such as tariffs on steel and aluminum, “costing U.S. households $400 on average in 2026, according to our analysis.”

 

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

CATEGORIES: LOCAL NEWS
Related Stories
Share This