
Amid the government shutdown, concerns grow for Nevada's national parks and other impacted services. (Famartin/CC BY-SA 3.0).
The recent government shutdown is beginning to impact Nevada’s national parks and federal services. The visitor centers at Lake Mead and the Spring Mountain Recreation Area have been closed. While Red Rock Canyon remains open as of writing, the park’s website indicates that all visitors must have a reservation between now and May 31 to access the area. As the shutdown continues and additional layoffs become more likely, FOX5 warns that if national park employees lose their jobs, it’ll have a domino effect on the outdoor areas.
Residents spoke with the outlet about their concerns, particularly in terms of how the shutdown will negatively impact these natural locations. Jimmy Alderson told FOX5, “The last shutdown, the trash was piling up in the dumpsters. Trash piled up around the bathroom. Doors were dirty, diapers, things like that just started to become piles of this stuff. At that point, we had to get the health department involved.”
He noted that trails with a gate in front of them at the Spring Mountain Recreation Area have been closed amid the shutdown. The Interior Department stated that all parks will remain open with trash and restroom services being regularly maintained, but failed to say how long that might be the case.
The government shutdown may negatively impact NV’s economy
In addition to posing potential environmental problems, the Nevada Conservation League is concerned about how the government shutdown will impact the state’s economy. The League’s Camalot Todd told News3, “It’s not just the national park workers, it’s also people who have, you know, the pink jeeps that take you out the helicopters, outdoor rec rental companies that give you rent out tents and supplies to go hiking and camping;” and all of those local businesses will feel the strain if parks become increasingly inaccessible.
Nevada’s outdoor recreation sector supported around 60,000 jobs and brought in approximately $8 billion to the local economy between 2022 and 2023. Todd worries that the shutdown, coupled with President Trump’s proposed 50% (or higher) budget cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency in 2026, will create challenges for Nevada given that about 80% of the state’s land is public and federally managed.
This article first appeared on Good Info News Wire and is republished here under a Creative Commons license.
SNAP crisis: Nevadans to face extra stress amid impending holidays
Nevada State Senators propose SNAP alternative as benefits run dry. Needy families across the nation are scrambling to find food this month as the...
NV Senate GOP leader, Dem assemblymember unite to fire shot across bow of movie studio bill
By Michael Lyle, Nevada Current A bipartisan duo of state lawmakers hosted a webinar Monday to cast doubt on the merits of passing what would be the...
Report: Child poverty rate soars to 15% in Nevada
By Suzanne Potter Child poverty in Nevada hit 15% last year, two points higher than the national average, according to a new analysis by the...
So your insurance dropped your doctor. Now what?
By Bram Sable-Smith and Oona Zenda Illustrations by Oona Zenda Last winter, Amber Wingler started getting a series of increasingly urgent messages...
Reno teens, aged out of foster system, get first homes with help from actor Jeremy Renner
By Siobhan McAndrew, Reno Gazette Journal Reno teen Jason Martin said he hasn't had a good night’s sleep in over a year. The 19-year-old went into...
Henderson “No Kings” rally organizers want to build community
Local organizations hope for peacefulness, equality, and compassion ahead of “No Kings” protests across Nevada and the nation. The corner of Eastern...



