Close to 4,000 educators in Washoe County could see a bigger check soon. In a media release, The Washoe County School District (WCSD) this week announced it had agreed to a tentative contract with teachers represented by the Washoe Education Association (WEA).
The bargaining agreement consists of a 20% cost of living adjustment over the course of two year deal, which would include 14% cost of living adjustment in the first year, with an additional 4% match from Senate Bill 231 for eligible employees, bringing the total estimated increase to 18% in year one. In year two, educators will receive an additional 2% cost of living adjustment.
“We know that we can’t make up for decades of underfunding in a single contract, but we were determined to take massive strides forward and believe this contract does just that,” said WEA President Calen Evans. “We would like to thank Superintendent [Susan] Enfield and the Board of Trustees for their public support of the amazing professionals we have in the Washoe County School District.”
The tentative contract also commits to a one-time $5,000 signing retention bonus for certain hard-to-fill positions.
There’s an added layer of positive news for families that have children with special needs at the WCSD: the Washoe Education Support Professionals (WESP) agreed to a signing bonus and retention bonus for Special Education teacher aides and assistants.
“Since my arrival in Washoe County, I have been clear that our dedicated and hardworking educators are deserving of compensation that reflects their professionalism and expertise,” said Superintendent Susan Enfield. “Thanks to our state lawmakers, we are now able to do that through this historic agreement. I am grateful to our district and WEA negotiation teams for the time they put into reaching this agreement. I am more confident than ever that WCSD is a district on the rise.”
“This landmark agreement demonstrates what can be done when everyone works together to advance high quality public education and invest in our greatest resource—our children,” added Board of Trustees President Beth Smith.
The tentative agreement will now go to the Washoe Education Association members for ratification and then to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
The deal would run through June 30, 2025.
For more local news visit:
Women in Nevada were dealt a blow last week after a judge blocked an effort to enshrine reproductive rights into the state constitution via a ballot...
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Las Vegas hotel union workers voted overwhelmingly Monday to approve their contract agreement with casino giant Caesars...
Gov. Joe Lombardo’s decision to use a legal defense fund created during his 2022 election campaign for an ongoing legal battle with the Nevada...
El 2023 ha entrado a su recta final y con ello llega la temporada de compras masivas a nivel nacional, principalmente en las fechas de “Black...
Small Business Saturday on November 25 means big business for minority-owned businesses in Nevada. For Jasmine Vides, 31, the day is even sweeter as...