Las Vegas is the seventh noisiest city in the US, surpassing larger metropolitan areas including New York, according to a recent survey from Forbes Health.
The survey’s objective was to determine which metropolitan area in the US poses the greatest risk to the hearing health of its residents. According to another recent Forbes Health survey, of 500 hearing-impaired adults, 75% suspect their hearing loss is due to exposure to loud noises.
To determine which cities are the loudest, Forbes looked at the density of 11 types of noise-producing establishments, where sound can reach damaging levels, but also took into consideration how accessible these establishments are to the general public and whether they require some form of hearing protection for entry.
The noise producing categories are:
- Restaurants and cafeterias
- Bars and nightclubs
- Movie theaters, including drive-in theaters
- Spectator sports events, including motor racing
- Concerts and performing arts venues
- Casinos, including casino-hotels
- Amusement parks, arcades and other recreation areas, including shooting ranges
- Transportation hubs, such as shipping harbors, train stations, bus depots, airports and warehouses
- Quarries and other mining sites
- Construction sites
- Manufacturing establishments
As you might imagine, Las Vegas took the cake in the casino category, but the city also ranked high in concerts, spectator sports, and bars and nightclubs.
These are the cities that ranked higher than Las Vegas.
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California
- Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, Pennsylvania-New Jersey
- Greensboro-High Point, North Carolina
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, Indiana
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, New York
The Biden administration on Saturday announced a finalized rule that will dramatically reduce harmful air pollutants such as methane from the oil...
“In the wake of the massive York Fire that burned more than 9,000 acres in Clark County alone earlier this year, it’s clear we need significant...
The Biden administration proposed a new rule last week that would require water utilities in Nevada and across the country to replace all of their...
La Fundación Naciones Unidas Corazón de Plata llevó a cabo una kermés para recaudar fondos y, de esa manera, ayudar con los costos funerarios a la...
@nevadannews Dos oficiales de la Policía Estatal de Nevada fueron atropellados en la madrugada de este jueves. De acuerdo a un reporte preliminar...